Monday, November 30, 2009

Long car ride

Brooke was a trooper on the way home from Poplar Bluff. What should have been a 4 hour trip was a 5 hour and 20 minute return trip. The traffic from St. Louis to home was stop and go the whole time with several long stretches of not moving at all. Brooke was tired when I put her in the car and I was pretty confident that she would sleep for a long time, but I was wrong. She slept for a total of about 25 minutes. She was pretty funny for most of the way. She entertained herself for a while by sticking her pacifier between her toes and laughing. I adjusted my rearview mirror to look at her which was obviously not the safest thing to do, but it kept me pretty entertained, too.

I wasn't entertained however when she had her fingers in her mouth and it looked like she gagged. So I'm looking in the rearview mirror reaching backwards to grab her fingers out of her mouth and that was a big mistake . . . it turned it into a game. She kept sticking her fingers in her mouth and gagging herself and I kept grabbing her arm and telling her no and she would laugh. She kept doing it no matter how forcefully I told her to stop I decided to just let her do it and not react since that's what she was going for. So I watched her gagging herself and her eyes were watering and I decided I couldn't take it anymore. So I was reaching back again to tell her to stop and pull her hand out of her mouth when she threw up all over herself. LOVELY! I had to pull over and wipe her off. Luckily she didn't do it anymore after that.

So as we were nearing Columbia and it was 6:45 PM, my mom said she would have some food made for Brooke and that Poppy would bathe her if I wanted to swing by her house. That sounded great to me since Brooke and I were both tired. When I got Brooke out of the car the poor little thing had pottied threw her pants and had a poopy diaper. So the poor little trooper had a wet shirt (from her throw up) and wet pants and she didn't even complain very much! She was so excited to be out of her carseat. Here she is doing a little dance with Nana after getting out of the car.

Fancy Feet from Jaira Grathwohl on Vimeo.

1 comment:

dan and elise said...

I don't think you told me about the throwing up. That is way too funny.