Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Glorious Doctor's Visit

This picture was taken of Brooke when she was a week old. A lot can happen in a week. A week before it was just Ryan and I and then a week later we had this:

So Brooke had an appointment with her helmet doctor today. So she has had the helmet for a week. We got in there and he took off her helmet and got his little measuring tape and measured her head. He turned to his sheet to write the measurement and he said "wait a minute, that can't be right. I better measure it again!" I started to panic thinking that something must be going terribly wrong. He came back and remeasured his head and looked back to his sheet and his eyes got big and he said "WOW"! I quickly asked, "is that a good wow or a bad wow!" He said she has had 5 mm of growth. Wanting to have it cleared spelled out for me, I asked again, "is that a good thing or a bad thing?" He said, "that is a really good thing!" He explained that her head had 12 mm of asymmetry when we started and she is now down to 7 mm! PRAISE GOD! I was astounded since it's only been a week since she got the helmet and the first few days she didn't wear it much at all (2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours . . .).

He also said you want your head ratio (there is some fancy techincal term for the statistic that I don't remember) should be around 80% with your head being longer front to back than from side to side and Brooke started out at 93% and is now down to 87%. The front right side of her forehead had protruded some before and he said it looks like that is gone, too! What a week! I told him that Brooke would get the world record for the shortest length of time having to wear a helmet and he laughed. He told me to not get my hopes up too much because the head ratio percentage can take a long time to repair itself. But I'm not going to let him trample my hopes! God's done a lot of work in one week, who is to say that he won't do even more work next week! I was all pumped up for a doctor's visit next week but he said he didn't need to see us back until 3 weeks.

So I wanted to say thank you to all the people who have been praying for us! God has definitely worked wonders with helping us easily adjust to the helmet and to helping repair her head. He has definitely done a work in my heart when it didn't bother me at all tonight when a lady at Walmart said, "well look at your little boy with his racing helmet on!" It was ironic because almost every aisle I turned down had a girl pushing a baby in a pumpkin seat in their cart and I had Brooke strapped on me in a front pack carrier (which attracts more attention anyway) and all of the people were staring at me (some discretely and some not so discretely) and I was proud to show her off because she is so special and precious! I thought how lucky I am that my baby wasn't like all of the others!

No comments: